Saturday, September 20th 11am-8pm & Sunday, September 21st, from 11am-6pm
on Grand Ave between Damen and Wood Street
$5 Suggested Donation
West Town’s “Grand Avenue Design District” will be a mecca for designers and design enthusiasts on September 20th and 21st when the best local home and garden designers come together for the aesthetic marketplace known as Design Harvest. Now in its 5th year, a revamped Design Harvest will focus more on the designers themselves, boasting a seminar tent with “how to” workshops by sponsor Houzz, design seminars, special guest speakers, expert design panels, and interactive design demonstrations.
In addition to home and garden objects that range from vintage and antique to environmentally-conscious and modern, Design Harvest 2014 also features great local food and drink vendors and live music programmed by The Hideout. Christy Webber Farm & Garden Center sponsors harvest time children’s activities, including hay rides, petting zoos, pumpkin painting, and much more. Attendance each year has grown significantly, with media outlets annually calling Design Harvest one of the “can’t miss” fests of the year.
Produced by the West Town Chamber of Commerce and a planning committee comprised of local Grand Avenue Design District business owners, Design Harvest covers the wide spectrum of home design disciplines found throughout Chicago; as well as spotlights the design businesses specifically on Grand Avenue. The two-day program consists of: a juried exhibition of tented vignettes, or “little stores,” each boasting unique themes and products for sale, a silent auction, and the all-new design seminars and Houzz how-to tent. Besides perusing the participating designer’s vignettes, fest-goers are invited to sip sponsored wine or craft beer, enjoy great food from local restaurants, or grab a seat on a hay bale and chill out to live music on the WXRT stage.
The Big Designer Tent:
Design Harvest design vendors are hand selected by the producers and a jury of design experts. Dozens of high quality vendors create vignettes inside a large scale white tent. Please click here for list of 2014 design vendors.
The Seminar Tent:
Throughout the weekend, leading figures in the local design scene will also conduct on-site seminars under a big top tent, discussing trends, providing tips, and lending valuable insight on current design industry topics. Click here for a schedule and list of seminar speakers.
The Live Music:
Setting the weekend tone will be the live musical entertainment stage sponsored by WXRT, programmed by Chicago’s legendary live music venue, The Hideout. Click here for the complete live music line up.
The Family Activities:
For children and families, there will again be a ton of fun offered from 11 am to 4 pm both days at Christy Webber Farm & Garden Center. Activities include:
• ‘Free’ tractor hay rides between Design Harvest and Christy Webber Farm & Garden
• Petting zoo 11am-3pm both days
• Mini hay maze for young kids
• Face painting
• Build your own scarecrow! We will supply the straw, rope, sticks and advice - but YOU MUST bring your old clothes to make your scarecrow out of.
• Pumpkin carving demonstrations by creative pumpkin artists.
• Fall refreshments – apple cider and homemade baked goods.
• Multiple photos opportunities: fall settings, fun face cut-outs and farm tractors and landscape equipment to sit on. Bring your cameras!
• Visit the free range chickens and check out the huge and unusual selection of pumpkins, gourds, cornstalks and more! Free local delivery for those without cars!
Design Harvest 2014 sponsor Chairs for Charity is hosting an event at EuroFurniture (2145 W Grand) on Friday, September 19 starting at 6 pm – which will serve as a prelude / official kickoff to Design Harvest. The 5th annual Chairs for Charity event benefits Designs for Dignity and will feature auctions of vintage chairs that were given new life by Chicago designers. Click here for more info and tickets
The Fine Print:
Design Harvest takes place September 20th from 11 am to 8 pm and September 21st from 11 am to 6 pm on Grand Avenue from Damen to Wood. There is a $5 donation requested for admittance. This is a rain or shine event (vendors will be under large tents).
Design Harvest 2014 sponsors include: West Town Chicago Chamber of Commerce, Chicago Magazine, Hailo, Chicago Event Graphics, Sameday Signs, Coors Light, Chairs for Charity, Christy Webber Farm & Garden Center, Eurofurniture, Urban Source, Design Inc., Albany Steel & Brass, Crispin Cider, WXRT, and The Hideout. Click here for sponsor links.
Visit the Grand Avenue Design District! Design Harvest is an event that showcases this burgeoning West Town corridor:
1. Aplomb / 2. Artemesia / 3. Buckingham I & D / 4. Christy Webber Farm & Garden Center / 5. Design Inc. & Bill Bruss Design / 6. EuroFurniture / 7. The Find/City / 8. Mia Rao Design / 9. Modern Times / 10. Nicholas Design Collaborative, Ltd. / 11. The Painted Lady / 12. Salvage One / 13. Sprout Home / 14. Urban Remains / 15. Urban Remains Showroom
join our mailing list to receive updates on the design harvest festival
keep up to date with design harvest!